[Ads-l] Query: Slang "insect promenade"

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Fri Jan 20 15:12:04 UTC 2017

This may be a bit of a stretch, but I'm thinking of the tendency for using overly formal expressions for humorous exaggeration (e.g. "intestinal fortitude" = "guts").

So "insect promenade" could be a fancy way of saying "bug walk". Not entirely sure how you get from that to 'face' or 'head' (which would clearly seem to be the intended meaning, as Robin says); I note that GDoS shows a purported late-19th-C use of _bugwalk_ meaning 'a parting of the hair', which could be relevant.

Jesse Sheidlower