[Ads-l] "Alternative facts" for EOTY

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 25 01:30:09 UTC 2017

> On Jan 24, 2017, at 8:14 PM, Joel Berson <berson at ATT.NET> wrote:
>
> A la "alt right"?
>
> Joel

Seems so.  OED, s.v. “alt”:
Alternative; spec. denoting a version of some cultural phenomenon (orig. and esp. music) that is regarded as outside the mainstream of its genre.
[citing “alt.rock” and “alt country”]

So alt facts would be a cultural phenomenon regarded as outside the mainstream of the fact genre (in being, well, not true).

LH