[Ads-l] LGBTQOI?

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Mon Jan 30 03:49:03 UTC 2017

I have seen un-ironic use of LGBTQTIQ2SA

(lesbian, gay, bisexual, transexual, transgender, intersex, queer, questioning, two-spirited, allied)

The order of the letters varies. Urban Dictionary has an entry for this dated 2010.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Ben Zimmer
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2017 8:56 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] LGBTQOI?

See Arnold Zwicky's post, based on a 2010 discussion here on ADS-L:

https://arnoldzwicky.org/2011/01/23/the-alphabet-soup-of-sexuality-and-gender/

As Arnold explains, if there's one Q, it's for "queer," and if there's a second one, it's for "questioning." The I is "intersex." So you likely saw the initialism LGBTQQI, not LGBTQOI.