[Ads-l] old pronunciation of "Los Angeles"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jul 3 01:30:01 UTC 2017

Hah.  I wonder about the correlation is between paternalistic/pinko politics and velar stops—I suppose velar softening is for softies.

Maybe Randy Newman’s “I Love L.A.” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Love_L.A.) doesn’t qualify because Randy “You Can Leave Your Hat On" is too much of a weirdo, and thus too much of a pinko, for this guy.  But then there’s this dark horse that I’d like to nominate, an old favorite of Dr. Demento.  (Perhaps this immortal ditty will be familiar to Wilson, or anyone else living in La-la Land in the late 60s/early 70s.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_YPFvC-C_E

Lyrics here.  Yes, you really did hear them right.

http://blogging.la/2009/04/28/songs-about-los-angeles-pico-and-sepulveda-by-felix-figueroa-and-his-orchestra/

“…Where nobody’s dream comes true”.

You tell me that’s not a suitable candidate for a town song!  (I even have the T-shirt.)

LH