[Ads-l] debutch (2009)

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 6 13:55:25 UTC 2017

Curtis M. Wong writes in the Huffington Post ("'Fun Home' Composer Hits Back At Claims Lesbian Character Was 'De-Butched’”, 2 July 2017, http://bit.ly/2ttQKsc <http://bit.ly/2ttQKsc>) that the lesbian protagonist of “Fun Home” has been criticized as being de-butched. A former Miss America has been cast. Wong quotes critic Sinister Woman as saying:

—
“Of course I can only speculate, but I must wonder if former Miss America would... persuade [producers] to change her costuming to be more typically feminine,” she wrote. “A butch lesbian just isn’t relatable to most theatergoers, but a short-haired feminine lesbian might make the cut for tugging on those liberal heartstrings.”
—

Two days ago, archaeogeek (http://bit.ly/2sta1J4 <http://bit.ly/2sta1J4>) writes:

—
I saw Shindel as "old" Alison and I didn't feel like they'd "debutched" her at all. It's almost as though butch identity can be more than the clothes we wear.
—

Citations:

1. 15 February 2009
"VMA Celebs Rock the Red Carpet In Vegas"
jean

—
Our favorite America’s Top Model lesbian, Kim has been de-butched! Her ANTM pixi punk cut & color were so cute but now she looks like a million other girls…
—

2. 6 March 2009
"Heavy: Lift With Caution"
James

—
The Rachel Maddow on her show is a de-butched make-up wearing femme in a pantsuit.

But anywhere else...pure unadulterated butch!
—

3. 2010
http://www.afterellen.com/tv/81512-de-butching-female-cops-on-tvs-crime-dramas <http://www.afterellen.com/tv/81512-de-butching-female-cops-on-tvs-crime-dramas>
In reference to the “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” character Olivia played by Mariska Hargitay, Sarah writes:

—
So really, take more offense that at least in the case of the SVU writers, they seem to think the motherly type can't be butch. That's more disturbing than these women being de-butched.
—

4. 2011
http://s1.zetaboards.com/L_Anon/topic/4614957/1430/ <http://s1.zetaboards.com/L_Anon/topic/4614957/1430/>
Also in reference to Olivia, Guest writes:

—
Olivia has turned into a soccer mom compared to the butch Olivia we had in the first seasons. Girly doesn't mean wearing dresses. It's in the way she acts. Mariska debutched Olivia.
—

5. 2014
http://bit.ly/2ttNKw8 <http://bit.ly/2ttNKw8>
"Dead But Not Forgotten: Stories from the World of Sookie Stackhouse”
by Charlaine Harris, Toni L. P. Kelner

—
“Maybe she’s a lesbian,” said Toddy. “That’s her porn and she doesn’t want to be debutched for any guy."
—

6. Date unknown
http://bit.ly/2ttD1Sk <http://bit.ly/2ttD1Sk>
Alena

In reference to the book “Sea Legs”:

—
The story starts with a bunch of friends, most of them femme and a butch partner of one of them even though, and that kind of grated me, the partner seems de butched by her partner in regard to appearance , go on a cruise along with a friend of the couple who is also butch
—

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA