[Ads-l] toward a hierarchy of currencies

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 8 20:04:02 UTC 2017

I think government issuance is the important distinction. The 'fiat' in
fiat currency refers to the government accepting it as legal tender. Other
entities can proclaim something (eg, Bitcoin) as accepted for transactions,
but that doesn't make it fiat currency. As mentioned, Bitcoin is property,
so selling something for Bitcoin is not a sale for tax purposes, but an
exchange of property.