[Ads-l] Heard on TV

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 16 00:35:23 UTC 2017

"It was just a fling. That's _all the farther_ I thought it would go."

Spoken by a sixty-ish, white woman from San Diego." An ordinary turn of
phrase ubiquitous in BE. I've read that some white Alabamians use the
similar _all the far_, with the positive form instead of the comparative.
et sim.

"Now, it was down to the jury."

Spoken by a Canadian voice-overer. I'd have expected "... up to the jury,"
in the relevant context.

"When I saw his face, I got _chill-bumps_."

Spoken by a white, forty-ish Alabamian.New to me, but in DARE. I'm
accustomed to "goose-bumps." Life being what it is, I have a friend who
uses "Goose-pimple!" as a general-purpose exclamation, though he otherwise
uses "goose-bumps."

As I was paging through DARE to _chill-bump_, I came across _brogan_, where
it's noted that this word has the alternative pronunciation, "bro-gan."
Till now, my impression had been that "bro-gan" was the the primary
pronunciation, with "bro-GAN" as a relatively-rare alternative. Cf.

Hey, look-a here.
What's that?
Where you from?
South America.
What's that?
South America.
You don't look like no South American to me!
I'm *still* from South America!
What part?
South Texas.
Hah-hah-hah!
Where your Western boots at?
I got 'em on.
Them ain't no boots you got on. They _brogans _. [i.e. bro-GANS]!

"Say, Man," by Bo-Diddley, featuring Jerome.

While Googling the song to double-check my memory, I came across a version
in which "bro-GANS" is transcribed as "broken-in." Another version
transcribes "Western boots" as "workin' boots," but he does get "brogans"
right.

C'mon, now, ya'll! It ain't *that* hard to understand! Or is it?

Youneverknow.
--
-Wilson
-----