[Ads-l] Fermi's Question

Tue Jul 18 02:17:04 UTC 2017

Interesting topic, John and Bill.

Edward Teller used the expression: "If there is life out there, then
where is everybody? " during a June 1960 talk.

[ref] 1960 June 23, The Racine Journal-Times,  1st Star Traveler May
End Up in Zoo, Says Noted Scientist, (Associated Press), Section 2,
Quote Page 1, Racine, Wisconsin. (NewspaperArchive)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
"In concordance with the laws of physics, someone in this lifetime
could go to Andromeda, but I recommend against it," Dr. Teller told a
University of California Extension series Wednesday night.

"If there is life out there, then where is everybody? Is it possible
that it's a form of life that we may not recognize as such, and isn't
it even more possible that we in our galaxy may just be suburbans
living in a God-forsaken outpost? There is a possibility that we may
soon be able to tune in via radio on noises 20,000 light years away in
the center of the galaxy, and if we hear what I think we will hear,
then I will become an isolationist with regard to space exploration."
[End excerpt]

Fermi received credit in a 1961 book mentioned in a UPI article:

[ref] 1961 March 19, The Sunday Courier and Press (Evansville Courier
and Press), Hello! Is Anyone at Home Out There? (UPI), Quote Page 14A,
Column 5, Evansville, Indiana. (GenealogyBank)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Fermi once asked, "Where is everybody?" referring to intelligent life
elsewhere under circumstances described by Dr. Ralph E. Lapp of
Washington, in a new book titled "Man in Space."
[End excerpt]

The 1966 book by I. S. Shklovskii and Carl Sagan appears to credit
Enrico Fermi and presents a 1943 date. This information is based only
on the text visible in a snippet. I do not know what else is said
within the book.

Year: 1966
Book: Intelligent life in the universe: Vselennaja zizn'razum
Authors: I. S. Shklovskii, Carl Sagan
Note: A translation, extension, and revision of [the author's
Vselennai?a?, zhizn', razum]".
Publisher; Holden-Day, San Francisco, California
Quote Page 448
Database: Google Books Snippet; should be verified with hardcopy

https://books.google.com/books?id=_kfpcOm6dn8C&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=Fermi

[Begin extracted text]
Where are they?
Enrico Fermi (1943)