[Ads-l] Saying: When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag

Sat Jul 29 16:26:02 UTC 2017

Way back in August 2012 there was a discussion initiated by David A.
Daniel about a quotation attributed to Sinclair Lewis and Huey Long.
The Quote Investigator website now has an entry:

When Fascism Comes To America, It Will Be Wrapped in the Flag
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/07/28/flag/

[Begin acknowledgement]
Great thanks to David A. Daniel and David H. Rothman whose inquiries
led QI to formulate this question and perform this exploration.
Rothman pointed to the commentary of the Sinclair Lewis Society.
Thanks also to discussants Bonnie Taylor-Blake, Victor Steinbok, and
Fred Shapiro. Additional thanks to David Emery of Snopes for his
research on this topic.
[End acknowledgement]

QI also has an entry on a related expression often attributed to Huey
Long as mentioned previously.

Sure, We'll Have Fascism in This Country and We’ll Call It Anti-Fascism
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/03/04/anti-fascism/

Garson