[Ads-l] like a dog

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 1 00:10:28 UTC 2017

I believe "die like a dog" was an allusion to hanging, not shooting.

Back when people had ropes but not guns.

Cf. the Irish rebel song:

Shoot me like an Irish soldier,
Do not hang me like a dog,
For I fought to free old Ireland
On that cold September morn.

(Not to be confused with the once notorious painting, "September Morn,"
antecedent of the Playboy foldout.)

JL