[Ads-l] Long-haul trucker's lexicon + a surprise

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jun 2 01:22:30 UTC 2017

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/31/books/review-long-haul-trucker-memoir-finn-murphy.html

This is Jennifer Senior's review of a book by Finn Murphy, a long haul trucker who reads both Chinese and Jane Austen.  The review touches on various specialized lexical items of the trade Finn wields, several of which are old hat even to inveterate non-truckers like me (“deadheading”, “suicide jockey”), some not so much (“bedbugger”, “chowder”).  You’ll have to read the review to find out what they are.  But my favorite bit, in the light of our recent thread:

Nor will I think about the fact that movers sometimes inspect the contents of your boudoir. Murphy’s recommendation: “Salt the lingerie drawer with plastic snakes or a loaded mousetrap.” (Who says the vagina dentata is a myth?)

I can only assume that Ms. Senior has been dipping into our list.

LH