[Ads-l] "You [X] 'em, we [X-rhyme] 'em"

Sun Jun 4 14:46:22 UTC 2017

Here is a match for one of JL's rhymes in 1948.

Date: January 11, 1948
Newspaper: The Indianapolis Star
Newspaper Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Quote Page 21, Column 1
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
EX-MAYOR GEORGE L. DENNY phoned the home of his son, George H. Denny,
The Star outdoors columnist, the other day and was startled to be
greeted with: "City Morgue—You kill 'em, we chill 'em!" Mr. Denny
almost fell out of his chair. Then he discovered it was his
granddaughter, Linda Denny, 13, answering the phone with one of the
greetings affected by some of today's teen-agers.
[End excerpt]

There is an ambiguous statement in a 1934 comic strip. A criminal
knocks out a lawman by striking him on the head with the butt of a
gun. The criminal plans to kill the lawman. In the final panel the
criminal tells another observer: "IN MY BUSINESS WE CHILL 'EM FIRST
AND THEN....". It is possible that the implied continuation is "WE
KILL 'EM".

The next comic in the series does not show any continuation of the
statement, but the plot development shows the criminal attempting to
kill the lawman.

Newspaper: The Daily Courier
Newspaper Location: Connellsville, Pennsylvania