[Ads-l] A random oddity

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 7 22:20:27 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know why the reference was made on Archer, but isn't Luke the Spook
> a Kilroy-like image? I have no idea which came first, the doodle or the
> nose art.

Neither do I. I wasn't paying any attention till I heard "Luke the Spook."
unfortunately. But you are correct. sir, WRT the Kilroy connection. The
graffito is older than the nose-art. The reference to a photo of the
nose-art on the B-29 in 'Pedia is wrong. However, there's enough other info
available for me to say that Kilroy and Luke were the same "person."

I came across a letter-to-the-editor from an ex-GI who wrote that he was
familiar only with Luke the Spook as the graffito's name and that Luke was
the *Army's* version of Kilroy. My personal, *childhood* memory is only of
Kilroy, from cartoons and funny-books. So, I'm not willing to contradict
the memory of someone who was actually in the Army and an adult, During The
War.
--
-Wilson
-----