[Ads-l] the Drink Canada Dry joke

Thu Jun 8 19:05:55 UTC 2017

Barry's earliest citation for the "Canada Dry" joke is dated October 11, 1927.

An interesting precursor appeared in a May 1925 article headlined
"THIRSTY AMERICANS DRINK CANADA DRY" which described a large group of
Prohibition era Americans visiting Canada to drink beer (not ginger
ale). The headline was a jocular exaggeration, but the humor was not
based on the "Canada Dry" beverage wordplay. There was another form of
wordplay. The word "dry" refers to the lack of water/fluid and the
lack of alcohol.

Date: May 27, 1925
Newspaper: The Iowa Recorder (The Greene Recorder)
Newspaper Location: Greene, Iowa
Article: THIRSTY AMERICANS DRINK CANADA DRY: 200,000 GALLONS CONSUMED
IN FOUR DAYS:
By Auto and By Rail They Invade the New Land Where the Amber Fluid Flows
Quote Page 1, Column 5
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt - the humor is in the headline not the body excerpt below]
Windsor, Ont., May 24.—Tramp, tramp, tramp, the boys are
marching—marching off the ferryboats at the rate of a thousand every
ten minutes—marching up the main street of this little city, that has
been re-christened America's filling station—marching past the windows
of the office in which these lines are written—marching into the
restaurants and hotels that are dispensing the famous four-point-four.
[End excerpt]

Below is a July 1925 citation containing an instance of the "Canada
Dry" beverage wordplay.