[Ads-l] _on the bone_ "ithyphallic"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jun 19 02:19:42 UTC 2017

Poor Merkle.  It wasn’t even a boner as such, although in the end it was embarrassing.  From what I understand, it was standard practice at the time for a runner at first to walk or jog off the field without touching second after (what we would now call) a walk-off hit when the winning run crossed the plate, but Johnny Evers, the Cubs’ second baseman, saw the opportunity to have Merkel forced out, although whether or not he achieved this properly remains unclear.  Here’s the wiki entry showing how complicated it all was, both at the time and in retrospect.  Note the line on interpretation of the force rule:

'Future Hall of Fame umpire Bill Klem said Merkle's boner was "the rottenest decision in the history of baseball"; Klem believed that the force rule was meant to apply to infield hits, not balls hit to the outfield.’
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkle%27s_Boner

Of course that was just 1908 (or whenever Klem laid down his opinion); there have been plenty of contenders for rottenest decision since then.

LH

P.S.  According to the wiki article on Merkle himself, 'Merkle committed a base-running error that became known as "Merkle's Boner" and earned him the nickname "Bonehead”.’
Could have been worse—at least they didn’t call him “Bonerhead”.
P.P.S.  There’s a bar named for Merkle—in Chicago.  As it happens, that 1908 pennant resulted in the last World Series the Cubs would win for 108 years.