[Ads-l] WTF > WT, euphemistic acronym clipping

W Brewer brewerwa at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 25 19:15:52 UTC 2017

<<  World Taekwondo Federation changes name over 'negative connotations' >>

     The World Taekwondo Federation (WTF) has changed its name to World
Taekwondo because of the "negative connotations" associated with its
initials.
     The organisation had used the previous name since it was established
in 1973.
     However, it felt in the "digital age" the slang of the old
abbreviation was "unrelated to our organisation and so it was important
that we rebranded to better engage with our fans".
     The change was made before the start of the 2017 World Taekwondo
Championships.
     The event is taking place in Muju, South Korea.
     "World Taekwondo is distinctive and simple to understand and
reinforces the global nature of our sport," said World Taekwondo president
Choue Chung-won.
     "Our vision is taekwondo for all and as World Taekwondo we are
confident we can build on our success to date and achieve that vision."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/taekwondo/40391326     24 June 2017