[Ads-l] disclaimer

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 26 18:10:10 UTC 2017

The definition of a notice at the beginning or end of a film would include notices of settings like “Little Rock, 1970” (random example).

If it had been “not based on actual events,” we could understand it to be a disclaimer for legal reasons. Given how widespread such legal disclaimers are, this seems to just be a poor word selection, or else a reasonable word selection since it superficially resembles such disclaimers.

Perhaps related, however, is (postmodern?) notices in movies like “Serial Mom” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Mom <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Mom>) that fakely claim a basis in real events (http://tipsfromchip.blogspot.ca/2012/12/movie-serial-mom-1994.html <http://tipsfromchip.blogspot.ca/2012/12/movie-serial-mom-1994.html>), making it difficult to suss out the truth value of disclaimers.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA