[Ads-l] bona fide (adj.), 1755

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jun 30 17:54:02 UTC 2017

> On Jun 30, 2017, at 1:19 PM, Stanton McCandlish <smccandlish at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> ​Is there a good resource on the differing approaches to pronunciation of
> Latin?  I never took Latin formally, but have absorbed a lot of obscure
> vocabulary from studies of the Roman imperial era.  I've noticed people
> vary sharply between "keteris", "seteris" and "cheteris" for a word like
> *ceteris*, with "keteris" being how a Roman would have said it (at least in
> the early empire).  I'm guessing modern pronunciation as "seteris" is from
> Spanish and French influence, and "cheteris" from Church influence, but am
> uncertain about this (I'm not Catholic, either).

Well, for the same reason, but as you suggest below, it’s possible if I remember correctly that late or “Vulgar” Latin had already begun to spirantize [k] before front vowels to [s] in the western part of the Empire before the development of French and Spanish as such.  I would agree with your characterization of the three forms, with the added point that the affricate (“ceteris” as in “church”) becoming the Church Latin standard by virtue of being the Italian standard.  When in Rome…

Of course even Church and Classical Latin aficionados would be likely to opt for [s] in pronouncing “etc.” rather than “et chetera” or “et ketera” respectively.

>  I just remember a
> professor giving "FEE-nus AF-ruh-chay" for "*Finis Africae*" and wondering
> why.
>
> I seem to also recall that Latin during its living language range had
> pronunciations shift, though I'm not sure which ones in what directions,
> and whether those shifts were consistent.  Curious when and where *c* started
> to turn sibilant before short vowels,

Before front vowels ([e] and [i]) rather than short vowels, actually; length wasn’t a factor but tongue position was (Wilson can correct me if I have any of this wrong).

> *v* to our [v] sound instead of
> [u]/[w], *ae* away from a diphthong to [i] (English "ee"), etc.

And vocalic [i] as in Iulius Caesar to affricate [dZ].    I’m not sure about the timing of these shifts either, but I’m sure someone in the list is.

LH