[Ads-l] Request Yankee magazine 1980 - Help with Quote: History (or War) is the unfolding of miscalculations. Barbara Tuchman

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Mar 1 23:40:27 UTC 2017

I don't have full-text access, but it looks like the article is probably Tim Clark, "Barbara Tuchman:  In Search of Mankind's Better Moments," Yankee, Aug. 1980, at 60 - 63.  I'm not sure about the final page, but another article begins on page 64.  According to Gale, the magazine examines the people, history, culture, and way of life of New England and is published by Yankee Publishing, Inc., P.O. Box 520, 1121 Main Street, Dublin, New Hampshire.  That's probably current or recent publisher information and does not necessarily represent the information in 1980.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of ADSGarson O'Toole
Sent: Wednesday, March 1, 2017 3:44 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Request Yankee magazine 1980 - Help with Quote: History (or War) is the unfolding of miscalculations. Barbara Tuchman

"War is the unfolding of miscalculations" has been attributed to
historian Barbara Tuchman in newspapers, books, and even reference
works. I was asked to investigate.

 I believe that Tuchman actually wrote: "History is the unfolding of
miscalculations". This statement appeared in the 2001 Grove Press
edition of "Stilwell and the American Experience in China", and I plan
to check the original 1970 edition shortly.

The quotation was garbled in a "New York Times" book review published
on December 3, 1973; the word "war" was substituted for "history".

Request: The journal "Yankee" apparently printed an interview with
Barbara Tuchman in 1980, and I would love to get scans of the
interview (plus scans showing the date of the issue, and the publisher
information).

Year: 1980
Periodical: Yankee
Volume 44
Month: Unknown (Currently it is a bimonthly)
Article Title: Unknown
Quote Page 63 (Please examine all pages numbered 63)
Note: Article may start on page 61 because "Barbara Tuchman" appears
in large type on page 61
Database: Google Books Snippet; data is incomplete and may be
inaccurate; must be verified with hardcopy or scans; there are 1980
issues in the volume.

[Begin extracted text]
"History is the unfolding of miscalculation," I quoted.
"Right! Who said that?"
"You did."
"I did?" she said with surprise. "Did I really? Very good. It is." She
looked pleased with herself.
[End extracted text]

Garson