[Ads-l] Did Mae West invent it?

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY RDECOM AMRDEC (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Mon Mar 6 16:29:55 UTC 2017

Brooklyn Daily Eagle 13 Dec 1936 p 6C (fultonhistory.com)

"For instance, the line, "Peel me a grape," which Mae introduced In "She Done Him Wrong," came about in this way. Miss West had a pet monkey who would not eat grapes unless the skins were removed. Miss West thought this amusing, and in a spot where the script called for her to look bored and nothing else, she injected the line—and it stuck."