[Ads-l] Groucho--really?

Mon Mar 13 06:48:50 UTC 2017

Excellent citation, Tom. The Groucho book edited by Robert S. Bader
states that the text appeared in a piece that Groucho wrote when he
was a guest columnist for Fred Rayfield on August 28, 1951 in the
"Daily Compass", a periodical based in New York with managing editor
Tom O'Connor.

However, it looks like some material in the column was recycled. Here
is a relevant earlier citation in the "Chicago Sunday Tribune".

The spelling "philosofy" is in the original text.

Date: July 8, 1951
Newspaper: Chicago Sunday Tribune (Chicago Daily Tribune)
Newspaper Location: Chicago, Illinois
Article: Groucho Finds Happy Medium in Television
Part 3, Quote Page 8, Column 7
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt - double-check for typos]
Groucho also was quite happy with Hannus von Yannuh, a 102 year old
Norwegian, who became the subject of sermons, editorials and backyard
chatter all over the country because of his philosofy: "Every morning
when I get out of bed I have two choices: To be happy or unhappy. I
always choose to be happy."

Groucho has adopted that philosofy himself.
[End excerpt]

I also found some earlier citations that mentioned Yannuh and his
philosophy, but did not say that Groucho had adopted the philosophy.

Garson