[Ads-l] Robert Benchley on jogging

Mon Mar 13 07:37:22 UTC 2017

I located a copy of Benchley's 1935 column about avoiding meteors and
meteorites. The piece does not mention jogging or sunbathing. His
writing does not seem to contain many conventional jokes. Here is an
excerpt from the beginning.

Date: February 11, 1935
Newspaper: Cumberland Evening Times
Newspaper Location: Cumberland, Maryland
Article: Duck, Brothers!
Author: Robert Benchley
Syndicator: King Features Syndicate
Quote Page 4, Column 3 and 4
Database: Newspapers.com

https://www.newspapers.com/image/3879708/

[Begin excerpt]
Next month will be a bad one for those people who bruise easily, as
meteor showers are predicted. It will be well for everyone to travel
by subway as much as possible, or, at any rate, to hug up close to the
buildings while walking along the street. Those meteors can hurt!

To forestall indignant letters from astronomers end ex-meteors let me
say that I know the difference between meteors and meteorites, and
that meteorites are  the  only  one that could hurt if they hit you.
[End excerpt]

Garson