[Ads-l] a little more on ejaculatory pop, etc.

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 16 15:18:50 UTC 2017

Robin Hamilton's Mudcat poster's version apparently appears in The Oxford Nursery Rhyme Book (1955) and The Annotated Mother Goose (1962).

I ran across an explanation published in 1905, based on the writer's recollection of the 1860s, which ties together the line, "that's where the money goes", with the weasel's "pop".  That explanation also includes all three of Robin's verses.

As I wrote in an earlier post, "that's where the money goes," was a popular song in 1840s England, and the expression was frequently used idiomatically and set apart in quotations.  The various versions of the song recited various ways people spend or waste money, frequently contrasting how poor people "waste" money on necessities and rich people spend it on luxuries.

The first two verses provided by Robin are similar to that song, in that the first verse speaks of spending money on rice and the second verse of spending money drinking at the Eagle, which was a famous pub.  The second verse even borrows the line "that's where the money goes" from the earlier song.

A 1905 recollection of the song suggests that "pop goes the weasel" refers to the sound made by the clasp on a weasel skin purse.

“This phrase certainly refers to a purse made of weasel-skin, which opened and closed with a snap.  The “popping of the weasel” in the song (I believe a sort of music-hall ditty of the fifties) is the opening of the purse, and consequent spending of money, as the context shows.  “Bang went saxpence” is a verbal, not a real, parallel.”

Notes and Queries, 10th S. III, June 24, 1905, page 491.

To be fair, the same volume also contains other speculations, including pawning (popping) a tailor's "weasel" (a tailor's tool) to get money to drink at the Eagle tavern.

But weasel-skin purses were, in fact, a real thing.  They were considered lucky, and the superstition held that if you had a weasel skin purse, you would always have at least a little money.  In the 1880s, it was said that, "in Iowa and Missouri such purses are so common as to give the generic name of 'weasel skin' to all manner of receptacles for coin." The Daily Morning Astorian (Oregon, March 4, 1887, page 3.

It is possible that the original catch-phrase from the song merely related to the popping of one dancer under the arms of a couple, like a weasel popping into its den.  Weasels were said, at times, to "pop" into their dens.  A children's book published in 1850, for example, includes a poem about a child chasing a weasel who "popped" into its den with a stolen egg.

"The Weasel, like thought, popped into his den.  The Boy was too big, or the hole was too small, So for that time escaped they, egg, Weasel and all!"

The Child's Picture and Verse Book (Commonly called Otto Speckter's Fable Book - translated from German), New York, D. Appleton & Co., 1850, page 196.

The later use in the "Pop Goes the Weasel" song borrowed from the theme and lyrics of the earlier "that's the way the money goes" song, with the addition of the new tune and catch-phrase from the dance, and with the added bonus of the weasel also being an allusion to a money purse.

There was also an old idiom that was known at the time, "to catch a weasel asleep", which related to the difficulty of catching a weasel because they were so fast and restless.  And, when a weasel pops into its den, it is even more difficult to catch.

But whatever the original meaning, it was not necessarily obvious to people at the time, as there were several early references that wondered what the "weasel" was and why it popped.