[Ads-l] a little more on ejaculatory pop, etc.

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Thu Mar 16 17:21:32 UTC 2017

The Vicar of Wakefield (1766ff) includes mention of a weasel-skin purse and, elsewhere his loss of money.

SG

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <...> on behalf of Jonathan Lighter <...>
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:07 PM
To: ...
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] a little more on ejaculatory pop, etc.

Have we any early documentation that "weasel" was in use to mean "purse" of
weasel-skin or otherwise?

Cf. comparable U.S. "eelskin" = "eelskin purse."

JL

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 12:43 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole <
...> wrote:

> Peter's 1905 citation included the interesting hypothesis of a "Notes
> and Queries" correspondent linking "Pop goes the weasel" to a
> weasel-skin purse. Here is an earlier presentation of that linkage
> although the sound of the clasp was not mentioned. (1869 is a late
> date; maybe it can be pushed back.)
>
> Date: January 21, 1869
> Periodical: The Cultivator & Country Gentleman
> Quote Page 62 and 63
> Publisher: Luther Tucker & Son, Albany, New York
> Database: Google Books Full View
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__books.google.com_books-3Fid-3D-2DS0-5FAQAAMAAJ-26q-3D-25&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=uUVa-8oDL2EzfbuMuowoUadHHcJ7pjul6iFkS5Pd--8&m=q655w1lR_fI7eKSqViGT7hv-5PZGFndwbPd7N7vPzLA&s=CrWFpp7aH3Atg4djSTgcaMkw9uI66EMyjTjnkfYZnQE&e=
[https://books.google.com/books/content?id=-S0_AQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&img=1&zoom=1&edge=curl&imgtk=AFLRE71a0WVb2W4Or-XlVcXky_SiBORxTfLEEBi-QmXpZ6ZHd-sJZIZWM0g6gfBsE4allBwhRahMapyUaHLpRS46lXcllYP8-j9bKUuq2wlf20oFrRQBDac-i5zoh7oyVxbKN2D9VsNz]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__books.google.com_books-3Fid-3D-2DS0-5FAQAAMAAJ-26q-3D-25&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=uUVa-8oDL2EzfbuMuowoUadHHcJ7pjul6iFkS5Pd--8&m=q655w1lR_fI7eKSqViGT7hv-5PZGFndwbPd7N7vPzLA&s=CrWFpp7aH3Atg4djSTgcaMkw9uI66EMyjTjnkfYZnQE&e=>

The Cultivator & Country Gentleman<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__books.google.com_books-3Fid-3D-2DS0-5FAQAAMAAJ-26q-3D-25&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=uUVa-8oDL2EzfbuMuowoUadHHcJ7pjul6iFkS5Pd--8&m=q655w1lR_fI7eKSqViGT7hv-5PZGFndwbPd7N7vPzLA&s=CrWFpp7aH3Atg4djSTgcaMkw9uI66EMyjTjnkfYZnQE&e=>
urldefense.proofpoint.com
/

[....]