[Ads-l] Let's eat grandpa: why punctuation isn't a matter of life and

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Mon Mar 20 15:38:39 UTC 2017

"not a blind bit of difference" -- see GDoS: "blind adj.2 ... 2. a negative
intensifier, e.g. not a blind bit of use, not a blind word, not take a blind bit
of notice."

The citations given, from 1908 on, are all UK with one Australian outlier, so
presumably a horse which doesn't run in the States.

Probably, though JG doesn't state this explicitly, a euphemism for "bloody",
which also appears in similar contexts as a lexical intensifier.  As e.g.,
"Let's not have a whimper, / Let's have a bloody good cry (since it's the rich
who get the pleasure / And the poor who get the blame)."

I have to say that I find the passage from Truss that you quote not so much
offensive as mind-bogglingly trivial, concealing ignorance under a pretense of
humour.   But then, I'm not Irish ...

Not getting at you, James, more snarling at your source.  But if it's at all
characteristic of the normal standard of her writing, it rather confirms me in
my existing presumption.  Nothing yet written about her book, that I've read,
encourages me to bother even dipping into it.

Robin