[Ads-l] Famous Quotations from Comic Strips

Margaret Winters mewinters at WAYNE.EDU
Tue Mar 21 14:36:05 UTC 2017

Wow - something I haven't thought about for a long time.  We had a hard-cover collection also and I suspect I got only a fraction (tiny fraction) of the humor.

----------------------------
MARGARET E WINTERS
Former Provost
Professor Emerita - French and Linguistics
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI  48202

mewinters at wayne.edu

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Mark Mandel <thnidu at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2017 11:09 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Famous Quotations from Comic Strips

Oh yeah! I remember, as a kid in the fifties, reading Barnaby in a thick
orange hard-cover collection that'd been my dad's. And I still love it,
rereading a paperback collection.

Mark

On Mar 20, 2017 1:45 PM, "Baker, John" wrote:

Barnaby:  "Cushlamochree!" (catch-phrase of Mr. O'Malley, Barnaby's fairy
godfather).

American Dialect Society<http://www.americandialect.org/>
www.americandialect.org
The American Dialect Society, founded in 1889, is dedicated to the study of the English language in North America, and of other languages, or dialects of other ...