[Ads-l] metaphorical "litmus test" (1912)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 25 02:21:21 UTC 2017

My working theory (as I suggested in the WSJ column) is that "litmus test"
only took off as a metaphor when actual litmus tests became widely used by
farmers checking their soil for acidity. That apparently happened around
the turn of the 20th century.