[Ads-l] Australian National Corpus Database

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Tue Mar 28 18:31:14 UTC 2017

That's what stands as the current first citation in the OED for MOB, n2 --  5.
a. A gang of criminals, esp. thieves ... -- 1826 in G. C. Ingleton True Patriots
All (1952) 109 The trial of Brady's mob.

I suspect that this is indeed the source of the material in the Aussie Corpus,
and furthermore, that the specific bit which the OED picks may actually be an
editorial addition on Ingleton's part, to material which he's reproducing from
the Hobart Town Gazette.

The textfile I have is divided into three sections:

       The Last of the Infamous Brady's Mob

       THE CAREER OF MATTHEW BRADY

       THE TRIAL OF BRADY'S MOB

While the first section, all I've been able to trace so far, is indeed printed
in the Hobart Town Gazette on Saturday May 6th 1826, there it's conspicuously
without any heading, and the remaining two sections are absent, at that date at
least.

(Currently, I'm laboriously paging my way through issues of HTG on Trove,
post-May 1826, hunting the needle.  A weekly, four pages long, in not entirely
clear type ...  Ugh ...)

Obviously, I'll be very, *very* interested to see what you find in Ingleton,
Stephen.  Ideally, actual dates and place of original publication for what seem
at the moment to be later second and third reports, if Ingleton provides these.

I think, given the painful nature of the exercise, I'll put any further search
for the needle in the hobart on pause, and keep my fingers interlaced.

Whatever turns up, I suspect the current OED first citation for MOB, n2, sense
5a, is less than fully fit for purpose.

Robin

(waiting anxiously for what the morrow will bring forth)