[Ads-l] "to ping"

Geoffrey Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Thu Mar 30 14:23:20 UTC 2017

I'm fairly 'ping' has been discussed on this forum in years past. It is widely used (at least in the IT community) to mean 'contact in order to get an opinion about something or let someone know about something coming up'.

I assume the etymology is from the old UNIX command, which puts it back in the pleistocene era (in computer years).

Geoff

 Geoffrey S. Nathan
 WSU Information Privacy Officer
 Professor, Linguistics Program
 http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
 +1 (313) 577-1259
 On Half-time: Generally not in office on Monday or Fridays but I do read email.
 Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email  looks.

From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2017 10:07 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "to ping"

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>

Regardless, he seemed to mean "to contact, as by telephone or electronic
device."

JL

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 9:31 AM, Joel Berson <berson at att.net> wrote:

> Speak roughly to your little boy,And beat him when he tweetzes:
> He only does it to annoy,
> Because he knows it teases.
>
> Joel

American Dialect Society
www.americandialect.org
The American Dialect Society, founded in 1889, is dedicated to the study of the English language in North America, and of other languages, or dialects of other ...