[Ads-l] "to ping"

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Fri Mar 31 10:12:00 UTC 2017

>     On 31 March 2017 at 03:29 Joel Berson <berson at ATT.NET> wrote:
>

>     Which sense of "ping" doesn't the OED have?

This from Wiki:  "Ping is a computer network administration software utility
used to test the reachability of a host on an Internet Protocol (IP) network.
... Ping operates by sending Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) Echo
Request packets to the target host and waiting for an ICMP Echo Reply."

Note the "Echo" in the above passage from Wiki, which would tend to confirm
Geoffrey Nathan's intuition of the etymology of the term.

So we'd have the (chronological) sequence:  sonar ping => Unix ping => ping your
ISP => pinged by a tweet.

Whether assorted politicians are drawing on the original sonar sense or the
later ISP-related sense, it's difficult to decide.  Either way, the political
extension doesn't make that much of a sense as a metaphorical extension, even if
the intended meaning of the users is fairly clear in context.

Robin

(ex-OS-9 Users' Group [UK branch], OS-9 being a baby Unix for freestanding
workstations, before Linux was a gleam in the eye of the gods of cyberspace)