[Ads-l] Famous Quotations from Comic Strips

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 31 19:28:18 UTC 2017

Keep those suggestions coming.  Note that I am looking for very well-known sayings, probably from classic comic strips rather than from more ephemeral recent comic strips.  They could be phrases from narration.

Fred Shapiro

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Mark Mandel <thnidu at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 1:03 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Famous Quotations from Comic Strips

Fred asked for quotations-- i.e., as I take it, excerpts from dialog, as
his examples show-- not names of things or phrases from narration.

On Mar 24, 2017 3:37 AM, "Wilson Gray" <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

*Prince Valiant: the Singing Sword, "Flamberge," sister of Excalibur.
Doonesbury: Walden Puddle Li’l Abner: the whammy*

Hopalong Cassidy: "Scratch gravel, Topper!"

The American Dialect Society - https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.americandialect.org&d=DwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=NvsW-OhBbzxE92nK31T2wnmV21_Bx7bPCKzIsk5T4FQ&m=duW4EK7lwaPawt0hlVEVpQycIC7MXMEBGa3qo8rMuOk&s=2IDhf1kCdHFAZG-SGrMip9Ph1lzLhEacDr4RDJr6jA8&e=