[Ads-l] "Hire One Half of the Working Class"

Sun May 7 13:40:08 UTC 2017

Fred Shapiro wrote:
> The quotation "I can hire one half of the working class to kill the
> other half" is usually attributed to Jay Gould.  Can anyone help
> me to trace documented and dated occurrences of this, attributed
> to Gould or not attributed to Gould, as far back as possible?

A request to investigate this statement was sent to me in December
2016. The earliest instances I located in 1891 referred to "farmers"
instead of the "working class". The statement evolved over time. Gould
died in December 1892.

I haven't posted on the QI website yet and would welcome earlier
citations or other interesting evidence. As always, please
double-check this information.