[Ads-l] David Maurer books

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY RDECOM AMRDEC (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Mon May 8 16:35:15 UTC 2017

One of my other hobbies is magic and conjuring history.  Potter & Potter is an auction house that regularly holds auctions on conjuring books and ephemera, and I often bid (and lose) on old books there.  Over the weekend, they held an auction on Gambling books and other collectors' items.  One of the lots was a group of 4 books by David Maurer, which, due to his research on slang, might be of interest to some here:

https://auctions.bidsquare.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/2271/lot/779047
Description: Maurer, David. W. Four Volumes on Cons. Including The Big Con (New York: Bobbs-Merill, 1940; first edition) with dust jacket; The American Confidence Man (Springfield: Thomas, 1974); Whiz Mob (1964; some staining on book cloth); and Language of the Underworld (1981).

The final bid was $276.75, and there was a 20% buyer's premium, so someone paid $330 for them.