[Ads-l] trolled?

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu May 11 20:18:24 UTC 2017

Trawling is done with nets.
Trolling is done with hooks.
This was the case in the 19th, 20th and 21st Centuries.

Mr. Tilton's fishing for art in graduate student art studios was more like trolling with hooks, I suppose, than casting a wide net and trawling.

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of George Thompson <george.thompson at NYU.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2017 7:29:55 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: trolled?

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       George Thompson <george.thompson at NYU.EDU>

>From an obituary in today's (Thursday) NYTimes.  I doubt that "trolled" is
the word intended here; "trawled" is more likely.  I'm not so out of touch
with the 20th century -- to say noting of the 21st --  that I don't know
that there are new meanings of the word "trolled", but still. . . .

Mr. Tilton operated in a low-key, sometimes quirky style. In 1992 he
mounted an exhibition of virtual-reality art, and in 2005 he trolled
graduate painting studios at Hunter College, the Yale School of Art and
Columbia University to assemble work for an all-student exhibition, =E2=80=
=9CSchool
Days.=E2=80=9D All the work sold.

=E2=80=8BGAT

=E2=80=8B
--=20
George A. Thompson
The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.
Univ. Pr., 1998.

But when aroused at the Trump of Doom / Ye shall start, bold kings, from
your lowly tomb. . .
L. H. Sigourney, "Burial of Mazeen", Poems.  Boston, 1827, p. 112

The Trump of Doom -- affectionately (of course) also known as The Dunghill
Toadstool.  (Here's a picture of one.)
http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---=
a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851