[Ads-l] Attention Garson: new postdating of (metaphorical) "prime the pump"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 12 19:29:29 UTC 2017

In the editorial cartoons from the '20s and '30s that I surveyed, it's
always water getting pumped (or money in the place of water).

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=32649