[Ads-l] Attention Garson: new postdating of (metaphorical) "prime the pump"

Sat May 13 01:49:44 UTC 2017

Excellent work. Here is a slightly earlier metaphorical instance in
1898 of "prime the pump" referring to spending money.

Date: October 7, 1898
Newspaper: The Columbia Herald
Newspaper Location: Columbia, Tennessee
Article: When the Pump is Dry (Advertisement)
Quote Page 6, Column 3
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
Money will flow into your store if you first pour some into the newspaper.
You must prime the pump.
Some merchants feel that money spent for newspaper space is thrown
away. They don't believe in spending money to get money.
[End excerpt]

After I found the above instance I noticed that someone else using the
handle c_bowes_sheridan had discovered it yesterday and electronically
clipped it. Here is the link:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/10917080/the_weekly_columbia_herald/

Garson