[Ads-l] Facebookery: "What was the A&P?"

paul johnson paulzjoh at MTNHOME.COM
Tue May 16 16:54:13 UTC 2017

Curious, in the forties I remember A&P in Chicago.  Memory says they
were always the worst kept stores always sort of dirty. If anything,
more neighborhood than chain store in their overall look.

On 5/16/2017 11:48 AM, Shawnee Moon wrote:
> Admission: I'm old enough to have shopped there.
>
> Ann Landers, the late advice columnist, once said, "When an old person dies, a library burns."
>
> I've always liked that one, because all of their accumulated knowledge is gone. I can't think of how many times I've wanted to ask my mother something...
>
> A good thing though, is our culture is being recorded, every word, selfie, blog, news story, opinion and cat video, on the internet.
>
> ... maybe that's not such a good thing...
>
> Imagine in ten thousand years if man implodes, alien archaeologists come digging around our artifacts. Besides the great books and worktop arts, they'll also find half naked teenagers duck-lipped selfies...
>
> Mailed from the Moon 🌜
>
>> On May 16, 2017, at 8:11 AM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:
>>
>> Some of us even remember the original name—the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company.  The last A&P in New Haven shuttered around 15 years ago, if memory serves.  It probably doesn’t, though.
>>
>> LH
>>

>>> On May 16, 2017, at 3:53 AM, W Brewer <brewerwa at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>>>
>>> Something about John Updike in high school.

Don't believe everything you know There are lots of people who mistake
their imagination for their memory.