[Ads-l] satyr = satirist?

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Wed May 17 11:49:23 UTC 2017

Perhaps this someone had in mind satyr sense 1.c: "The confusion between the words satiric and satyric gave rise to the notion that the satyrs who formed the chorus of the Greek satyric drama had to deliver ‘satirical’ speeches. Hence, in the 16–17th c., the frequent attribution to the satyrs of censoriousness as a characteristic quality. See also SATIRE n. 4."

Or was he looking for a two-for-one: an off-color comedian?

Joel

      From: James A. Landau <JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 11:14 AM
 Subject: [ADS-L] satyr = satirist?

At a committee meeting to plan an upcoming brunch, someone said that we needed a humorous rather than a serious speaker.  His words were, "We need a comedian or a satyr".

Off-topic:  a woman describing a wedding said, "all the bridesmaids and all the groomsmaids..."

Oxymorons:

A drawbridge is open when it is closed and closed when it is open.

A postpaid mailer is prepaid.

  - Jim Landau

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.