[Ads-l] Heard on F.B.I. Files: "Schuylkill [skool.kill] County, in a mountainous region...

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat May 20 01:16:05 UTC 2017

Schuylkill/Skookle - what else would you call it?

Most of the residents of Lucerne, Switzerland (which is in a German-speaking region) spell it with a 'z' (although they omit the e at the end).

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2017 5:36:08 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Heard on F.B.I. Files: "Schuylkill [skool.kill] County, in a mountainous region...

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Heard on F.B.I. Files: "Schuylkill [skool.kill] County, in a
              mountainous region...

of northeastern Pennsylvania."

Up here in the Pocono Mountains, Schuylkill County, immediately south of
Luzerne County, where I live, is pronounced "Skookle ..." by the locals.
Yet, they feel no shame.

BTW, "Luzerne" isn't a misspelling of "Lucerne." Rather, the county is
named in honor of son excellence, monsieur le chevalier Anne-Cesar, le
marquis de la Luzerne, a commune in Normandy. He was also, among other
things, French minister plenipotentiary to the United States, an honorary
fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and a Founding Fellow
of the Society of the Cincinnati.