[Ads-l] cache-cachet confusible

Thu May 25 20:54:18 UTC 2017

Below is a 1908 citation from England with "cachet" used to refer to a
hiding place for jewelry, i.e., a cache.

Interestingly, the OED lists the following under cachet: "Etymology:
French; < cacher to conceal: in 18th cent. treated as English"

Date: November 28, 1908
Newspaper: The Manchester Guardian (The Guardian)
Newspaper Location: London, Greater London, England
Article: The Southport Murder: Police List of Missing Jewellery: The
Question of Motive
Quote Page 5, Column 4
Database: Newspapers.com

https://www.newspapers.com/image/258586827/?terms=cachet

[Begin excerpt]
A lonely woman of Mrs. Allen's shrewdness and thriftiness, coupled
with her apprehension of being robbed, would most likely, have some
cleverly hidden "cachet" into which she could slip her valuables at
night or on her leaving the house.
[End excerpt]

Below is a 1979 citation with the phrase "hidden cachets of gold".