[Ads-l] [Non-DoD Source] Re: RES: cache - cachet confusible

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri May 26 17:59:36 UTC 2017

I learned the word "click" in the 1970s - only later learned that it was spelled clique, only years later learned that French people pronounce it something like "cleek", and years after that first heard English speakers pronouncing it "cleek"; and then probably just thought they were being haughty.

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of W Brewer <brewerwa at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 10:43 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: RES: cache - cachet confusible

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       W Brewer <brewerwa at GMAIL.COM>

While we're on nativization/Anglicization of French expressions, I've just
recently heard on TV people (younger than me, naturellement) saying
<clique> [click], not [kleek] (generational/sociolectal variation). (In my
mind, this is the same sort of dysphony ~ euphony) felt in <creek> [crick ~
creak] (dialectal variation).)