[Ads-l] Quote: Time Wounds All Heels

Sat May 27 13:25:35 UTC 2017

Yes, there should be earlier citations, and I would welcome them.

The Oxford English Dictionary gives an initial 1914 citation for the
sense of "heel" used in the 1934 and 1937 wordplay. I do not know the
first citation given in Green’s Dictionary of Slang, and I do not have
Random House Dictionary of Slang in my current location. Perhaps
someone could let me know what GDOS says about "heel".

[Begin excerpt]
heel, n.3

Among criminals: a double-crosser, a sneak-thief; more generally: a
dishonourable or untrustworthy person, a rotter.

1914 L. E. Jackson & C. R. Hellyer Vocab. Criminal Slang 43 Heel,..An
incompetent; an undesirable; an inefficient or pusillanimous pretender
to sterling criminal qualifications.
[End excerpt]

Peter Reitan kindly sent me off-list a 1918 instance of the quip
employed by a shoemaker. I think "heel" refers to a foot part in this
citation. It appears that the slang sense is not used.

Date: April 14, 1918
Newspaper: Hartford Courant
Newspaper Location: Hartford, Connecticut
Article: Uncle George Learns a Well Known Truth
Section 3, Quote Page 1, Column 7
Database: Newspapers.com

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/11282953/hartford_courant/

[Begin excerpt]
"Well," said Mr. Rollo, "I should say that such an argument was on a
par with a dispute that a shoemaker had with a school teacher I know.
The teacher was quoting some old stuff and said that time would heal
all wounds. The shoemaker said he had a better quotation and it was
that time would wound all heels. They had quite n debate regarding
which was the better quotation."
[End excerpt]

Peter also sent a 1926 citation about an unsuccessful book reviewer
that seems to use the slang sense of "heel" (see the clipping).