[Ads-l] RES: cache - cachet confusible

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun May 28 14:02:50 UTC 2017

> On May 28, 2017, at 3:18 AM, W Brewer <brewerwa at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> <fort, forte> [fort ~ FOUR-tay ~ four-TAY];  <cache> [cash, cash-SHAY]:
>
> <caffè latte> ₤[kaf 'fɛl 'latte]. Wikip says £,$/'lɑ:teɪ/ or /'læteɪ/. WB
> recalls hearing $[lɑ'tei].
> The pronunciation $[lɑ'tei] I would call a hypergallicism, since it seems
> to an attempt to elegantify the expression with a French-like accent, which
> sounds most like an English penult stress.

Wouldn’t a French-like accent be realized with final rather than penult stress?  I agree with the proposed diagnosis otherwise; if “la-TAY” (perhaps to wash down a skewer of satay) involves a monosyllabic diphthong, this very non-Italian stress pattern would indeed be a hypergallicism, with final stress.

LH