[Ads-l] How prevalent is "to upstream"?

Mon May 29 20:14:22 UTC 2017

Below is an instance of "upstreamed" with the desired sense that
probably appeared in a 1976 book.

Year: 1976
Title: The blood-red dream
Author: Michael Collins
Publisher: New York: Dodd, Mead
Series: A Red badge novel of suspense
Database: Google Books Snippet; data may be inaccurate and should be
verified on paper

[Begin excerpt]
He walked toward Lexington, turned south waving for a taxi. He was no
New Yorker. Going downstream was no way to get a cab at any time, and
never in the rain. I upstreamed him, got my taxi, and had it follow
him slowly down the avenue.
[End excerpt]

Garson