[Ads-l] How prevalent is "to upstream"?

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Tue May 30 01:11:13 UTC 2017

Before taxis, there was the colonial New England Yankee practice of upstreaming in river fishing.  I have read about legal disputes that went to the Massachusetts General Court.  The General Court licensed weirs to towns or individual entrepreneurs to trap fish that spawned upriver.  Such a weir would be required to be opened some fraction of the week to allow enough fish to continue upriver for breeding or the benefit of upriver towns.  (One of those days would be the Sabbath, when humans were prohibited from fishing but fish were permitted to swim.)  But sometimes a town (or individual) set a weir downriver that allowed an inadequate number of fish through.  A town upriver (or the licensed individual) would then complain.

This was "upstreaming", catching fish before they reached the authorized weir -- although of course "upstream" in this case means the fish (taxis?), but downstream according to the flow of river water.  I have not, however, encountered the terms "to upstream" or "upstreaming" themselves.

I do not remember my source, since at the time this was not relevant to my research.  But I find it discussed in "The Great Meadow: Farmers and the Land in Colonial Concord", by Brian Donahue (not my former source), for the Concord River, which flows into the Merrimack, p. 189, online at

The Great Meadow

|   |    |

|    |
The Great Meadow
 The farmers of colonial New England have been widely accused of farming extensively, neglecting manure, wearing ...  |   |

Licenses for weirs near Medford, Mass., which I assume must have been on the Mystic River (or perhaps Alewife Brook), were given as early as 1634, according to the following source from the Medford Historical Society and Museum (although I suspect this does not say anything about "upstreaming" disputes):

A Peculiar Plantation: 17th Century Medford - Medford Historical Society & Museum

|   |
A Peculiar Plantation: 17th Century Medford - Medford Historical Society &a...
 Early one summer morning in 1629 three young men, the Sprague brothers, just arrived in Salem from old England, ...  |   |

Joel