[Ads-l] _kompromat_

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 31 16:12:08 UTC 2017

Chris Waigl suggested "kompromat" as an early WOTY contender on Jan. 12:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2017-January/145912.html

I wrote about it for my WSJ column the following week:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-kompromat-became-a-word-
for-using-scandal-as-a-weapon-1484945369

If paywalled, try this Twitter link:

https://twitter.com/bgzimmer/status/822551951837634560

As I mention in the column, I found a couple of early English-language
cites on Google Books.

---
https://books.google.com/books?id=tasgAQAAIAAJ
Enrico Altavilla, _The Art of Spying_ (1967), pp. 53-4
Other potential victims of blackmail are the people without nationality,
200,000 on Germany territory, and the refugees from East Germany. Every so
often one of these receives a letter informing him of illness in his
family; he hurries to the East only to discover that the letter was false,
written at the behest of the secret service with the hope of enlisting him
in their ranks. Usually this offer is made to people who have something to
hide. This is why East Germans have created the "Kompromat," the
investigation bureau which delves into the private lives of the men and
women whom they hope to recruit by blackmail.
---
https://books.google.com/books?id=gTdgAAAAMAAJ
Lev Kopelev (transl. Antonina W. Bouis), _Ease My Sorrows_ (1983), p. 164
Gumer told me that Shikin had been planning to take care of us for
"snitching" to the Central Committee; he had already called in several zeks
and free employees, started gathering a kompromat, a compromising affidavit.
---

It starts showing up in news databases in 1993.

---
Reuters News, Apr 25, 1993
Rutskoi promises to back up corruption allegations.
MOSCOW, April 25, Reuter - Russian Vice-President Alexander Rutskoi renewed
his allegations of corruption against President Boris Yeltsin's team of
advisers on Sunday and said he planned to provide evidence next week.
Speaking to reporters as he voted in Moscow in a referendum on Yeltsin and
his reforms, the 45-year-old former air force officer said he would be
addressing parliament on April 28 to present documents supporting his case.
Rutskoi, a critic of economic reform, has sided with parliament against
Yeltsin, who has stripped him of some of his responsibilties and suggested
he should resign.
"I will be presenting documents which confirm corruption in the highest
ranks of power," he said.
Rutskoi told parliament last week he had 11 suitcases full of documents
proving corruption by Yeltsin's entourage and his young reformist ministers.
Former prime minister Yegor Gaidar and Privatisation Minister Anatoly
Chubais hit back, accusing Rutskoi of collecting "kompromat" (compromising
material) for political ends.
---

--bgz