[Ads-l] Not on my watch!

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 3 19:31:58 UTC 2017

Appropriate that you close the post with "you can't handle the truth," since the 1992 Navy (and Marine) legal drama, "A Few Good Men," which popularized the catch-phrase "you can't handle the truth," also included Demi Moore's impassioned defense<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFI6KgYyf2E> of Marines at Gitmo - she likes them "because they stand on a wall, and say nothing's going to hurt you tonight - not on my watch."

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Friday, November 3, 2017 11:30 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Not on my watch!

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
. . .
Earliest:

1907 _Duluth News Tribune_ (March 17) 4: Jack [a sailor] had started to
meander on his way, but Tom pinched him and stung him a fifty for the bunch
of busted glass. "Not on my watch," says Jack, and the two mixed it.

. . .
JL