[Ads-l] No = 'yes; truly'

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 8 14:45:57 UTC 2017

Literally no.

I see this as a defensive. Everybody's a skeptic, so many speakers
interpret any response short of aggressive head-nodding as disbelief. The
result, in the face of presumed or expected disbelief, is an affirming
"no", meaning "no, I am serious, I mean this".

I recognize this produces many instances of speakers saying "no" to
speakers that are not contradictory. Nor do I like it. But I think I
understand it.