[Ads-l] teract

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Thu Nov 9 03:28:55 UTC 2017

Blend of what?

    On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 7:50 AM, Amy West <medievalist at W-STS.COM> wrote:

 "Poligarch" jogged my memory about this:

My student (native Russian speaker) used a word new to me twice in a
recent post for a class:

When I hear or say the word “hero”, one man comes to my mind, the man
from a documentary movie about the teract 9.11.

And

That man was usual man, employee of a company located inside one of the
teracted buildings.

She said she had seen the term used before online/on the web: I've never
seen it before and a Google Books search doesn't turn up any instances
(only skimmed the results). I even did a quickie search of American
Speech online and ADS-L. :-)  Looks like a classic blend; I don't know
if she's borrowed it from Russian sources/use or if it's calqued on
Russian. My ability to read Cyrilic only extends to part of the alphabet
so far.

---Amy West