[Ads-l] neither/either avoidance

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 11 17:33:49 UTC 2017

> On 11 Nov 2017, at 09:27, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 11, 2017, at 12:16 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM <mailto:wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>> wrote:
>>
>>> sounds affected or literary in a way inappropriate for normal conversation
>>
>> Just another sign of the End Times.
>>
>> JL
>
> Among other things, “both sides didn’t like the proposal” allows for two interpretations, not-both and (the intended) both-not, although the intonation and/or discourse context may disambiguate, while “neither side liked the proposal” is unambiguous (even if it does sound literary).  (Or, to make the example less literary, “Both of them can’t make it” vs. “Neither of them can make it”.)

This is definitely a good example of why it’s difficult to abandon “neither” altogether. Another good reason is sentences without a verb (“Me, neither”, “Neither of them!”).

I can recall in junior high school having trouble with “ni…ni” (neither…nor) in Spanish because it didn’t feel normal in English. Now I relish using it when I want to sound stilted in writing.

I suppose what will be interesting to watch is how people deal with it when faced with the problem of ambiguity like in the “both” example.

BB